Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chicago Trip

Wouldn't you know that as soon as I send out the last blog, more teeth pop out! Ethan now has 4 on top and 3 on the bottom!! He's also learning a TON at school. They are teaching him sign language. He can (on occasion) sign "More" and "Please". Ethan is also singing. Well, his version, at least! We say "La la la la la la" and he'll repeat it back, but it sounds like "Ra ra ra ra ra".

Ethan has mastered walking, now we are working on standing up without holding onto anything. The only time he crawls now is if he falls and needs to get to something to help him stand up. He's tried walking in shoes a few times, but ends up tripping on the toe. I bought him some shoes from StrideRite that are supposed to help him walk. They have a rolled toe so he won't trip.

On the 16th, we headed out for Chicago (Winthrop Harbor, actually). What a trip! We were running late and missed our flight, so we got to hang out at the Atlanta airport for a few hours waiting for the next flight. Ethan spent his time walking around the gate and making new friends of course. The next flight was delayed due to an oil leak, but once we finally got on the plane, the captain offered free drinks! Ethan had a ball looking out the window.

Thursday night we met the family for dinner at Portillo's (Italian beef sandwiches...YUM!) and then went to the track to watch the horse and buggy races. We had a great time, and so did Ethan. Such a great time that he didn't go to sleep until 11:00 Chicago time (midnight here!!).

Friday the men went off on the boat while Lori and I took the Ethan and Reece shopping. They racked in with some great buys for their fall wardrobes. That night we met up with the family again for the rehearsal dinner. It was wonderful for Ethan to finally meet everyone...most hadn't seen him since the day after he was born.

Reid's idea of funny...and it was! Laundry basket over Ethan's head

Saturday was the wedding. It was beautiful...unlike the weather! The ceremony was outside and it started raining right before it started. Luckily the bridal party was under a canopy. We weren't so lucky, but it was still beautiful. After dinner, we danced and then Ethan fell asleep. We put him in the stroller and he slept right through the rest of the reception.

Ethan at the reception in his big boy outfit

Ethan, Mommy, & Daddy

Reid and Ethan

Sunday we had brunch with the family and then went to Shelley and Ryan's house to play Wii. While we were waiting on Reid, Marc, and Niki, Ryan and Ethan took a little snooze. Then it was Wii time!! We had so much fun we want one!! We met up with the family for dinner and Ethan decided he didn't like what he was wearing. Flying had messed with his digestive system and it finally corrected itself that night while out to eat. And of course, I didn't bring him a change of clothes, hence the diaper and jacket look.

Ethan and Ryan taking a snooze

Ethan and Shelley

The aftermath of the explosion

Monday we took a trip to the Jelly Belly factory. We took a ride on a train and learned the history of the bean and how they are made. Did you know that it takes 7 days to make a Jelly Bean? Afterwards, we drove up to Lake Geneva and walked around. We went to the pier and Ethan didn't like it when he couldn't see cousin Reece. That night we had dinner at Lou Malnati's...deep dish Chicago pizza...doesn't get any better than that! Ethan decided to feed himself the mastacioli. The sauce was a little spicy, but he didn't seem to care.

Marc and Ethan waiting in line at Jelly Belly

The Jelly Belly Car

Ethan and Reece playing "Ah Butz"

Ethan and his newest cousin, Reece...two peas in a pod!

Lori, Reece, Ethan, and I at Lake Geneva

The Spectors at Lake Geneva

Ethan and the mastacioli

The flight home was uneventful. Ethan fell asleep right after takeoff and woke up when we landed. The passenger in front of us commented on how well behaved he was. All in all, it was a great trip, but we are glad to be home. Ethan was thrilled when he saw all of his toys and Sabo and Samantha.

In other news, I started my new job yesterday. So far, it's going pretty slow, but I really don't know what I'm doing yet. Tomorrow I will get some training from another Office Manager, so I'll be in good shape.

Until next time...hope everyone is happy, healthy, and well.

Amanda, Marc, and Ethan


Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a fantastic trip! Ethan sounds like a really good traveler. He's so adorable in his wedding outfit...such a big boy! love, Cindy

Carha said...

Keep up the good work.